Monday, October 13, 2008

Have you ever tasted a Jones Soda?

First off, let me say that as long as you stay within the realm of tastes that most would consider to be normal, the drinks are fantastic. Did you know that on occasion they put out 'special' flavors? Flavors that make you go hmmmm?

Recently a friend made a comment about her experience with some of these special flavored sodas. In fact, her comment brought back a memory that I hadn't thought of in a while. And, I just had to share.

The flavor my friend spoke so eloquently about, was one of a variety pack made especially for the holidays. It was a holiday pack of sodas based on a traditional Thanksgiving dinner. My first encounter with these drinks was thanks to my sister in law who, during one of her adventures, discovered the drinks. (Yes, the same sister-in-law that prepared to meet her maker during a tornado by scrap booking-Yes, definitely another story for another time.)

Anyway...The flavors were something like turkey, potatoes and gravy, green beans, sweet potatoes, cranberries, stuffing and pumpkin pie.

Really - I'm not kidding. And I must compliment Jones on their efforts too. Not because the sodas tasted good, but because they really did taste like turkey, potatoes and gravy, green beans, sweet potatoes, cranberries, stuffing and pumpkin pie.

I must say however, the flavored turkey dinner sodas made by Jones turned out to be a GREAT idea for the Thanksgiving holiday. Again, not because of taste but because several years ago we bought the thanksgiving six pack and it provided a great source of entertainment at the end of a long, stress filled, holiday event.

As tradition would have it, that year after dinner and dishes the adults were sitting around the kitchen table. My sister in law revealed her flavorful find. Knowing we could not let the children see one another's reaction to the sodas, they were cut from the heard one by one calling them in and letting them taste which ever ones they wanted to...PRICELESS!

The reactions on their unsuspecting faces combined with the, "your-my-parents-how-could-you-do-this-to-me," looks were grand.

Yes, we had a fine Thanksgiving that year.

Oh get off it all you softhearted sympathizers. 

We aren't a family of completely cruel parents. We tried them first. That's when we decided that the kids were probably smarter than the adults and wouldn't dare taste something bound to be so obviously horrible on their own.... we HAD to trick them!

Of course we all did begin to wonder when one of the kids just kept coming back for more. 

1 comment:

Kelley said...

Ha! I don't know if I could get Chickenhead to try any of Jones' holiday flavors or not. I checked their website and they don't have details on this year's holiday pack. Last year's featured holiday ham flavored soda. Being from a slightly Southern gene pool, I do love me some ham, but I don't want to drink it! I'll stick to their root beer or cream soda!